Thursday, September 17, 2009

To Be & Another Piece of Paper

A couple blog posts ago JG broke the news that he will be reenlisting this year despite concern with our career field's deployment rate.

Our career field manager who manages the entire public affairs, broadcaster and photographer enlisted force stopped by last week to visit the Air Force Public Affairs Agency. For me, the three most surprising facts he shared were: PA deployments increased by more than 60 percent this year, state-side broadcast positions were only 35 percent manned and photographers were at a 1:7 deployment dwell rate (pardon combat camera).

And, after listening to the numerous other challenges and how he and the director of public affairs have been working to translate senior leadership's empathy into action, I am now rooting for a 1:1 dwell. (Insert Gasp Here.)

Why?

Anyone can be pulled at any time - making the deployment selection process more 'intimate.' Deployments would be based on an individuals dwell rate. For example, when I deploy next March my dwell rate would have been a 1:5 (thanks to five ankle surgeries). When I come back, my dwell rate starts over at 1:1 and I'm racked and stacked against every other individuals' dwell rates who are not currently deployed, rather than just those within my band.

Also, it gives PA leadership even more justification needed to plead their case for more manpower and to prevent further cuts.

I'm confident that after this long year ahead of us JG and I will be able to PCS and have two years of two-parent stability for our boys - and a baby.

Lately I'm feeling a sense of relief, particularly because of facts and figures, but mostly because there's a bunch of people who care. Supervisors and others in each of our chain of command shared their concern about our situation and empathized that enduring those circumstances long term would have serious consequences for our family. I've also been really impressed with the career field manager's candidness on these and other issues.

I'm also impressed with the director of public affairs. I'm quite thankful he overlooked me answering my direct line today with a rushed "Tech. Sgt. Buzanowski" as I had to put a company wanting an Air Force License Agreement to use the Air Force Symbol on hold. (www.trademark.af.mil) The Colonel called to give me kudos on the work I've been doing on the trademark program, he said he's been hearing my name 'everywhere' but in a good way. He asked how 'Buzz' was doing on his deployment, asked me how the family was doing and told me that he and his wife will be holding a get together at their house next month for all of the spouses of deployed members in our directorate.

Funny in a way to be thought of as a 'spouse.' I really didn't think much about it until today. I find myself socially awkward around other spouses who don't wear the uniform.

So get this - my original deployment tasking was changed meaning I no longer deploy in March, I deploy in May ... but a 30-day combat skills training course in April. I'm so excited that JG and I will get to celebrate our first wedding anniversary together.

Signing that piece paper was much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment