Thursday, July 30, 2009

Buckle Up ...


It certainly has been a bumpy ride this week, more figuratively today, in fact. Speaking of today, this is the one month mark of my deployment, which means I'm 1/6 of the way done. Hey, you take little victories where you can find them ...

And we could certainly use a little victory in our lives right now. Jennifer and I are still in our quandry about life, liberty and the pursuit of a family while still living up to our military obligations. No answers yet on that front. Lots of advice from folks, which is appreciated. My friend Jessica suggested looking at the situation through the eyes of 65-year-old JG and Jennifer and how we'll want to reminisce. My friend Chris echoed those sentiments, only adding the notion of ensuring the wine cellar is stocked. Good call. I could very much use a glass of wine right now in fact ...

We're fortunate enough in this location to get to have a couple of drinks a day. Which is pretty cool for a Muslim country close to a war zone. The wine is okay, but I think it's actually box o' wine. The beer selection is meh. Last time I was here we had Guinness. I seriously need to try to get to Kyrgyzstan again. They have good Russian alcohol. And if there's anyone who knows how to drink ...

But no former Soviet states today. Close though. Today we went on a refueling mission over Afghanistan on board a KC-135 Stratotanker. It was the first trip for my son, Edward's, toy Yoshi, which he was good enough to send to me. See, my last few trips I've had a little green bear wtih me. I would take pictures of LGB everywhere, from Uzbekistan to the DMZ in Korea. But Jennifer suggested instead that now that I've got a family, something new comes with me on my trips to remind me of them. So Yoshi gets to have adventures now. Better than hanging out with a plumber, but maybe not as cool as throwing spikey turtle shells at Toad ...

Actually, our current assignment is pretty cool. We're going up on air refueling missions and then working with the intelligence folks to get details on where the jets we refuel go and what they do. Thus illustrating how tanker operations contribute directly to helping folks on the ground through the use of superior air power. Pretty cool story idea. The lieutenant helping me on the project even rises above the stereotype of military intelligence. Here's to hoping that when I sit down to interview her she rises above the stereotype of lieutenants ...

In the meantime, I'm trying to do some soul searching so I can try to figure out what to do about our lives as a whole. It certainly is asking a lot of our family, immediate and extended, to support us as we continue our military service. Not to mention the toll it takes on a relationship, like missing all the end of the year holidays this year, our first anniversary and the summer next year, as well as the end of year holidays again. In doing the math as it stands now, it will be summer of 2011 before Jennifer and I will have spent more days together since our wedding than apart. It's such a mixed bag of emotions: anger, disappointment, overwhelming sadness. A little more anger ...
We keep looking for the silver lining, and I think it's with the people who support us. Jennifer and I are fortunate to have a group of people who love and care for us and support us in what we do. It means a great deal, especially while one of us is away. But this is the first 30 days done. One month down, five more to go ...

5 comments:

  1. Buzz you're making me sad! I didn't realize you were away. Gracie's gone too and I didn't know about that, either. Glad to know I can stay in touch via your blog! You're in my prayers. Also, your wife kicks my butt at Scrabble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this blog is heartwrenching sometimes. I really feel for your family and the decisions you have to make. But at the same time, it's cool to see J.G. all growed up! I love that you're still having fun with the golden guns and the Yoshi - gotta remember your roots in tough times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't offer any advice. Heck, I can't even imagine what you guys are going through right now. Except for the fact that it is so well described here that I want to cry. I can offer my love and support and hope that someday they will come in handy. And that I beleive that the universe works itself out in the end. We may not always like the outcome, but it's exactly how it's supposed to be. Okay, not comforting, but I'll keep the positive thoughts flowing your way. [Gwakak] (Supposed to be a Yoshi noise, but failed miserably.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "That's cute, Dad," said Zachary in reference to the photo of Yoshi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Buzz, Martin and I were married six years before we'd lived in the same house together for more than half our marriage. It can be done. And the military intelligence crack is just hitting below the belt. We're people too. Geeks, usually, but still people. :)

    ReplyDelete