Thursday, July 8, 2010

Jam

Just about every time I write or talk to the boys I ask about the strawberry plants - I was so thrilled to see JG posted a picture. The day I planted the 15 plants (yes, it really holds 15) the boys and JG were having a nerf gun war in the back yard.

Since I've been here, strawberry jam has become my comfort food. Partly because in the two weeks I was at Fort Dix I only got strawberry jam on three occassions. Partly because it's my favorite. And, partly because I have fond memories of going strawberry picking with my family as a kid, then watching my parents make homemade strawberry jam. Here, the only other jelly they have is grape. I know I've elevated the status of jam to "food" but trust me when I say sometime the only thing that looks good to eat is a make-it-yourself PB&J.

Tonight I had barbeque chicken. It was pretty good. Almost ready to declare bbq sauce a food too.

So I've been sending cards home to JG and the boys. They have yet to actually receive one from me here in Kyrgystan. We were told mail takes an average of 2-4 weeks to travel back and forth to the states. I'm just trying to picture being home for a month and still receiving mail from here. I'm running really low on stationary. I actually used my last two cards for the boys then dove into a stack of blank cards with limes on the front. The only sets the base exchange here sells are U.S. Air Force stationary. No thank you. I prefer pink and sparkles and flowers and cute swirls.

In my last post I said that JG would be flying in a KC-135 above Spokane taking photos of the 4th of July fireworks. Nope. The first aircraft broke. The second aircraft broke too. Can you imagine this happening when it really counts? Some of the tankers here at Transit Center at Manas are actually from Fairchild AFB. Day in and day out those work horses of the 1950s are refueling everything that flies above Afghanistan. The Air Force has some amazing maintainers. I'd put any one of them up against a mechanic making a fleet of cars last for 50 years, being driven as hard and as often our our tankers fly.

2 comments:

  1. It was me putting out bad mojo.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you gone out and asked the Fairchild aircrews to take mail over for you? Sometimes if you ask nicely, they will. My dad used to ask the aircrews from Wright-Patt if they'd deliver items for me when they flew over to Ramstein. I used to get boxes of Cincinnati pastries within a day of them being made and bought by my Dad at the bakery. :o)

    ReplyDelete