Monday, June 21, 2010

Jennifer's Day One



June 30th last year "The Sergeants Buzz" started with a quick into on Day One of JG's deployment to Southwest Asia. We're 10 days shy of that anniversary and I've reached my own Day One here at the Manas Transit Center, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.  



Yes, that is my electric blanket wrapped around me! I have one roommate - a great change from the dozen I had for the combat skills training at Fort Dix. And because we're in a building our latrine and showers are co-located with us. Even better, I have wifi in my room :)

It was great to finally meet my sponsor in person - we've been Facebook friends for months now, but it's so great to put a face with the name. I did some reading about the country on the way over and was surprised to learn that more than 75% of the country is literally frozen underneath permanent snow and glaciers. The country is relatively small - about the size of South Dakota. And livestock outnumber people 3:1. Now that I'm here, I'm anxious to become aquainted with the headlines more in-depth.

On a lighter note, the rest of the trip from Norfolk to here went smooth. Our entire office came out to greet us after our flight landed. They had already got our dorm rooms assigned and had keys-in-hand for us. The Major told us to get some rest and not worry about reporting for duty until 10 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment