Saturday, June 19, 2010

Philly to Norfolk - Part One

I had a really good night’s sleep last night. Down comforters, six gushy pillows, thick soft mattress – heaven. I did have to get up early and repack all of my bags. I have five. A hard case for equipment, my suitcase and three A-bags – that’s a lot to lug. Some folks sent their training equipment home. I didn’t.


Kim and I traveled together from Fort Dix to the Hilton Philadelphia Airport hotel. She’s a career photographer who’s now picking up some public affairs slack at her assignment so we had a lot of stories to share. We had dinner on the river at a place called the Chart House. We both wanted steak, but the seafood entrees looked amazing. I got the sea bass with saffron risotto and it was amazing. I had my doubts about the risotto – saffron can very easily overpower a dish but it was perfect. The sea bass was cooked perfectly and they topped it with lobster and crab meat. Maybe today I’ll get myself a steak. Or a really good cheeseburger.

I’ve been sending a lot of cards home to the boys and JG. That was the last thing we learned from JG’s deployment was that cards, letters and care packages meant the most to him. So, I’m trying to do a better job of that during this separation. I desire conversation – whether it’s IMing, webcam or talking on the phone more than anything else.

Edward gave me Yoshi. He’s not made it out of my backpack yet. Zachary gave me a potholder and a mini scarf he weaved “to keep your fingers warm, mom.” The boys are so incredibly sweet. I miss them so much already.

No comments:

Post a Comment