Saturday, April 24, 2010

Between S.D. and our first weekend at home

There's not a whole lot between Mount Rushmore and Spokane, Washington. The only significant things worth mentioning are that the Five Guys in Missoula, Montana is going to be worth the three-hour drive once a month. Also, my Aunt Daphne is awesome.

We stopped in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho for the night and she met us a the hotel, drove us to the lake and put out a feast she made herself - crabmeat pasta salad, grilled chicken skewers with homemade peanut sauce, fresh veggies and fruit, crackers, wine, coconut pie - it was amazing and even more so eating on the road for more than a week. Something I've always loved about my aunt growing up is that she always treated my sister and I like we were adults. I was reminded of this when Zachary came off the playground to eat with us and she told her son to move some things out of the way so he could sit closer and be part of the conversation. It was so nice and so strange to be sitting with my now adult cousins who I've only seen once at the wedding just about their whole lives.

About seven miles from Fairchild on Route 2, JG was pulled over for the second time this trip. The only thing that seemed strange is that the law enforcement officer only cared for JG's driver';s license and not the registration or insurance. Weird, huh? He asked where we were going and we said we haven't got there yet. Luckily, JG got another warning.

After visiting with my Aunt and her family the next day, Tuesday, we went to base, checked in with our office, got our keys to our new home, unloaded the truck and trailer and returned the trailer. Day two, we started to put that mess away and started the process for getting the kids enrolled in school and daycare. Day three household goods arrived and Zach had his first day at school and Edward had his Kindergarten assessment. Day four Edward started school and we unpacked some boxes. Today the house is still a wreck, but we're taking a break to meet a long-time pen pal of JGs. I made salad and garlic bread.

The spaghetti lunch was great but mostly because the boys were so excited to have other kids to play with. We rounded out the day with more shopping for the house and topped off with dinner and pie at Marie Calenders.

1 comment:

  1. Citizen Cop Chris wants to know why JG got pulled over...twice no less?

    Also, not sure if anyone else is...but I'm a little jealous of your assignment. I would love to be there. I have family in Hayden Lake Id. Plus, I want to retire very near where you are...I hope your entire family enjoys the next few years.

    ReplyDelete