Thursday, April 15, 2010

Up until the Superman Museum ...

So, we just left Effingham, Illinois. Yes, I said Effingham. I think this may be my new G-rated swear word.


I have to say I’m addicted to the Belgian waffles. I think I mentioned this before. What I didn’t mention is that in Virginia I had bad luck with waffles. The week our bathrooms were under renovation we stayed at the Comfort Inn for two nights. Our first morning there I made a few waffles – electrical sparks flying out of the rotating joint. (The hing that opens rotates 180 degrees for even cooking.) The next morning they displayed frozen waffles and a toaster. Then, our last few visits at Silver Diner yielded zero waffles as their waffle maker was broken. So, with bad waffle luck left behind in Virginia, I’m thoroughly enjoying our road trip breakfasts.

We just got on 57 South. We’re on our way to Metropolis. I’m nodding my head yes at the geeks who know this is home to the Superman museum. We’re driving a total of four hours out of the way today to accommodate the landmark. Fittingly, JG is wearing his new Green Lantern T-shirt I bought him during our last trip to his comic shop, Big Planet in Vienna, last weekend. It remains to be seen if he will actually throw away his old one it was meant to replace.

Edward is wearing his “Samurai costume.” It looks like a red cape. It’s really his preschool graduation robe.

So yesterday we were taking note of the Air Force museum’s photojournalist display and realized that their “Air Force News” display needs an update. It’s now called Defense Media Activity. But, it was really cool seeing the bylines of some our colleagues we know personally. Varhegyi, Tudor, Weckerlein, Cooley and Ricardo are just some that I remember.

My favorite photo was then-Tech. Sgt. Cecelio Ricardo of Heroes Hwy, the entry for the wounded to Balad Air Base, Iraq’s tent hospital. His combat camera news team came out to Balad while I was deployed there in 2007. Shortly after they left, I found myself staring up at the highway’s American flag after being flown out of Sather Air Base with a broken leg. And that, is another story for another time.

So, the DSi XL we bought Edward yesterday he tried trading with his brother who has just a DSi. Edward does not adapt well to change. At all. He’s quiet and playing with it now, but I’m not sure how long that’s going to last.

Okay, I have to write down this quote before I forget it – story for next blog entry: “You act like you’ve never been pulled over before.” Followed by: “You act like it happens to you all the time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment